Exhibition and Facilities Manager, Full-time
Position Duties and Description
The Exhibitions and Facilities Manager is responsible for managing and overseeing the key elements of the Institute of Contemporary Art San José, namely exhibitions and related facility needs. The Exhibition and Facilities Manager oversees the budgeting, calendarization, loans, etc. related to the ICA’s core functions, including the annual fundraising auction, working closely with the Executive Director and curatorial team in execution. The Exhibitions and Facilities Manager reports to the Executive Director, and works most closely with the Curatorial and Public Programs Associate, and the Finance Manager.
Reports to:Executive Director
Location: Institute of Contemporary Art San José
Type: Full-time, with benefits
Responsibilities are as follows:
- Plan and manage the installation/de-installation of exhibitions, rotations, and individual artworks, coordinating schedules and details with the executive director and curatorial staff.
- Work with the curatorial team to identify needs or issues pertaining to upcoming exhibitions or specific artworks, working directly with artists on site-specific installations.
- Hires, schedules and supervises temporary art installers as needed to support the active art exhibitions
- Coordinate and work with staff to execute handling, crating, packing and transportation of artwork to, from, and within the ICA San José.
- Oversee performance of the physical preparation of artwork, including matting, framing, casework preparation, and object mount-making, both onsite, as well as working with outside contractors.
- Adjustment and maintenance of gallery lighting.
- Supervise/Inventory tool and equipment operation associated with woodworking, electrical, light construction, and audio-visual displays, IT equipment.
- Plan, prioritize, and schedule short-term and long-term projects for the Installation team and set job assignments to meet institutional deadlines and priorities.
- Establish and implement proper procedures for art handling, and conduct regular training.
- In partnership with the Director, develop and administer the annual preparation budget, assist in developing special project budgets, and prepare cost and material estimates for new installations for each fiscal year.
- Collect time sheets, ensure accuracy, and submit for payroll.
- Ensure adherence to safe workplace practices in the operations of the Installation team, including proper procedures for utilizing paint, solvents, and power tools.
- Assure a safe and healthy work environment through knowledge of best practices.
- Manage cleanliness and condition of gallery-managed facilities. Initiate facility repairs and/or capital upgrades when necessary.
- Plan, maintain, and initiate upgrades to the gallery, and related to the entire facility, such as security systems and overall procedures.
- Serve as department key contact and building emergency contact.
- Maintain Facilities Emergency Plan that includes alternate opening/closing procedure in the event of unexpected absences. Plan should also include procedures for emergency evacuation of facilities, securing of artworks, phone-tree and notifications, roof servicing, fire plans, resumption of business, etc.
- Manages Facility IT needs
- Negotiates and manages contracts with all facility vendors (janitorial, IT maintenance, renovations).
- Maintain timeline and procedures for the overall procurement of works for the auction, including tracking images and keeping up communications with the artist to insure fulfillment before, during, and after the auction
How to Apply
Send your cover letter and resume to Bella Rodriguez (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a subject line “Exhibition and Facilities Manager.”
The ICA is an equal opportunity employer. As such, the ICA will not discriminate in the hiring, compensation, promotion, discipline, or termination of employees based on their race, religion, sex, gender identification, sexual orientation, age, color, national origin, disability, veteran status, income, or any other category or classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Application deadline: Open until filled