2021 ICA San Jose Internship
The Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA) San José is excited to offer a part-time paid internship opportunity for someone ready to learn all the moving parts of a small contemporary art museum including: visitor engagement, curatorial, public programs, education, membership, museum administration, and marketing.
Working closely with the ICA staff, this position offers a great opportunity for individuals interested in pursuing a career related to the arts. You will work in an exciting industry while learning operations of a non-profit art organization. This is a six month, paid internship position for 15/hours a week. One day will be remote (which we will work to determine together based on need and availability), and Thursdays and Fridays in-person at the ICA.
You will have skill building opportunities in program logistics planning, marketing/communication materials, in addition to community engagement practices to increase visitor engagement. Special projects include summer and fall programming, preparation for ICA First Fridays, Art After Dark, artist panels and more!
You will learn about and gain direct experience in:
- Programming organization collaboration and community engagement practices
- Curatorial practices and administration
- Development/membership administration
- Social media and marketing
- Preparing digital graphics using Canva, Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator (basic knowledge helpful but will train)
- Public programming event planning and logistics
- Visitor engagement at the front desk and tours
- Interest in art and museums, writing, social media, and community engagement
- Comfortable communicating with a diverse group of people including museum staff, stakeholders, community members, peers and the general public
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Demonstrated organizational ability and strong computer skills, preferred proficiency in Adobe Suite (i.e. Photoshop, Illustrator, In-design)
- Must be reliable, self-motivated, enthusiastic, open-minded, and collaborative
- Ability to check and respond to email and/or messages in a timely manner
- Ability to commit 15 hours per week for 6 months
- Previous museum experience is not required
Schedule and Compensation
Paid, part-time, internship three days per week for six months beginning August 2021. (Flexible start/end date)
Weekly schedule: Thursday and Fridays 12-5pm in-person at the ICA, plus one remote day to be decided depending on schedule.
Compensation: $15.65/per hour
How to Apply
Send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “ICA San Jose Internship Applicant: Your Name”.
The ICA is an equal opportunity employer. As such, the ICA will not discriminate in the hiring, compensation, promotion, discipline, or termination of employees based on their race, religion, sex, gender identification, sexual orientation, age, color, national origin, disability, veteran status, income, or any other category or classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Application deadline: Open until filled