ICA X SJPL Artist Mix is a collaboration between the Institute of Contemporary Art San José and San José Public Libraries. The ICA San José invites artists to take a new twist on the traditional book club. Artists featured in the ICA’s current and upcoming exhibitions recommend media ranging from books, film, and music that inspired their artistic practice. These selections will be available to borrow from the San José Public Library and online. Click here to learn how to check out media from SJPL.
Together we will listen, read, and watch the recommended mix of media over the course of two months, that will culminate in a range of engaging public programs. The programs will feature conversations with artists, ICA curators, SJSU faculty, and other civic and cultural icons who can give insight into the selected media. Given local health guidelines, the program is launching through Zoom. As conditions allow for gathering, we are hopeful to extend programming to live conversations, performances, and screenings.
We are thrilled to launch ICA X SJPL with Amir H. Fallah, whose work is currently featured on the ICA Facade Project. His recommendations can found here:
– Ninth Street Women by Mary Gabriel:Five women revolutionize the modern art world in postwar America in this “gratifying, generous, and lush” true story from a National Book Award and Pulitzer Prize finalist (Jennifer Szalai, New York Times).
– Diet For A New America by John Robbins: Originally published in 1987, Diet for a New America awakened the conscience of a nation with its startling examination of the food we buy and eat — and the moral, economic, and medical price we pay for it. Drawing a clear line connecting America’s factory farm system with disease, animal cruelty, and ecological crises, Robbins makes perhaps the most eloquent argument for vegetarianism ever published.
– The Game Changers Not available at SJPL, available on Netflix: James Wilks travels the world on a quest for the truth about meat, protein, and strength. Showcasing elite athletes, special ops soldiers, and visionary scientists to change the way people eat and live.
– Herb and Dorothy: A couple (Dorothy Vogel, Herbert Vogel) redefine what it means to be an art collector.
– Run the Jewels – Run the Jewels 3
There will be a public program in which further insight will be given into the selected media. Stay tuned for more details about this event.