S. 1st Block Party
The ICA San José is teaming up with local institutions and organizations to throw an outdoor S. 1st Block Party Saturday, July 17th from 4-7PM! This one time event will be a celebration of our institutions reopening and welcoming back our community– in art, food, music, and fun. The party is FREE and open to the public, all ages are welcome! RSVP for the event below:
This celebration will demonstrate the deep ties art has to many other aspects of culture, and emphasize how art and creativity can be found in our San José community. To welcoming our new neighbor Veggielution, our event theme will be around the garden.
Partners and activities include:
- A special paper flower making art activity with artist Amy Brown outside the ICA San José. This activity is based on our current exhibition by Ebony G. Patterson.
- A fabric print making workshop using flowers and natural products from our local Pocket Park in collaboration with San José Museum of Quilts & Textiles (SJMQT), Veggielution & artist Carolina Cuervas.
- A bachata dance class with the In Lak’ech Dance Academy, Live DJ, and Antigone, a shoegaze/punk/alternative band all brought to you by Movimiento de Arte y Cultura Latino Americana (MACLA).
- A raffle with Camino Brewing Co. for a chance to win a special gift bag.
- Goodies, activities, and more from local organizations Content Magazine and Womanhood.
Food will be brought to you by Thai Thai Food Truck, a full service catering company providing innovative and delicious Thai culinary experiences.
With the help of our collaborators, we will transform S. 1st Street and Parque De Los Pobladores into a community organized and activated social hub that will encourage dialogue and fun after nearly a year and a half of closures due to COVID-19. In doing so, the S. 1st Block Party aims to motivate visitors to get outside, experience art, and have gratitude for our local community. We can’t wait to see you there!